Wednesday 30 April 2014

The rules I use to decide which University Challenge team to support

In order of least to greatest support:

  • King's College, Cambridge over other Cambridge colleges *
  • Cambridge over Oxford
  • London over Oxbridge
  • Anywhere else over London
  • Northern over Southern
  • Less "posh" over "posh" (e.g. Glasgow over Durham, but Manchester over St. Andrews)
  • New university over old (Sheffield Hallam over Sheffield)
  • Mature students over youngsters
  • The team with the most ethnic minority members over the other
  • The team with more women over the team with fewer
  • Distance learning over traditional university
  • Open University over all
It boils down to women > men, new > old, poor > rich, age > beauty. 

* Actually, I would probably support one of the women's colleges or newer, more obscure ones -- e.g. Churchill, Girton, Homerton -- over King's. 

5 comments:

  1. i just found a post of yours from feb 2005 on the same topic - you had durham as the least favourite, why go soft on those pricks now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I'll look it up. As I remember 2005 was my worst hour, blogwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I pretty much nailed it back then. Would have Loughborough higher - nowadays I prefer the physical. In those days my blog was basically terrible, but occasionally I nail it. (http://jahjahdub.blogspot.co.uk/2005/02/transvestitism-anyone-else-not-really.html)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, this too. I prefer to think of this as a consistency in my approach, and not that I only have 3 ideas. http://jahjahdub.blogspot.co.uk/2006/02/its-that-time-again-when-i-unlock.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look the most important thing is, how do we find out what happened to Susanna?

    ReplyDelete