Thursday 1 May 2014

Better Living Through Fermented Vegetables

I've just been chopping cabbage for sauerkraut.

I need to do a series of posts on the glories and wisdom of sauerkraut. It may be the simplest, most cost effective way to improve your life. It's doesn't even have to be cabbage. I'm quite partial to some sauerrüben, myself. And of course sour beets.

People often say, "this book changed my life" when what they mean is they really liked it. Well, this book might actually change your life, Sandor Ellix-Katz's Wild Fermentation. He can get a bit freaky deaky, but in its essentials it's killer.

Here's a video of the man. The book also includes yoghurt, cheese, bread and booze.


There are profound insights ahead for anyone willing to stuff some grated carrot in a jar.

1 comment:

  1. More on this please. I recently had a vegetable breakthrough when I realised that I have to immediately cook all of the veg I buy or I'll end up throwing it away. I buy a bunch of veg and steam it or stew it all at once, nothing is wasted. Sauerkraut would be next level.

    ReplyDelete