Monday 5 May 2014

I do a bit more childcare than average

I have to be careful when I talk about parenting, coming from a man it sounds bad. Still, much of modern parenting trends (by which I mean, "how middle class parents raise their kids") seem to be about ruining mothers' lives as much as possible.

Patriarchy in action
My wife gets guilty. Worries if she's doing enough for them. Beats herself up about having birthday parties for them. Takes them places.

I don't feel guilty at all. Ever! Right from the birth of our first child my wife and I have split the childcare and housework equally. The expectations on fathers are so low I cleared them years ago. In the society's eyes I'm a hero.

Mr. Mom
I'm fine with sitting here writing this while they tear around me, playing. My self-serving theory is that children develop best through knocking about. No need to get them in the car and give them a learning experience. I might take them out later, but only if I get bored.

It can be a pain though, Dadding. Everyone in the NHS treats you somewhere between a family friend and a potential kidnapper. Taking my youngest for his vaccinations led to the question, "does his mother know he's here?" Needless to say, my wife does not get asked about me when it's her turn at the doctor's.

Having been through the last four years I hold the following to be equally true:
  1. It has been a gift. Shocking that I could have sleepwalked into missing out on this time with my children.
  2. It is a great burden, one which I now couldn't possibly expect my wife to bear alone. 
All in all, I recommend making the childcare as even as possible. Dads are generally lazier. I recommend more laziness in parenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment